Everyone knows how good coconuts taste – whether you’re eating a box of Samoa cookies from your local Girl Scout troop or sipping on a Pina Colada by the pool – but what about the other uses of this magical fruit? The CPR staff loves coconut and its many benefits.
Here are a few health benefits of coconut oil:
1. Coconut oil is free of cholesterol and trans-fats, but contains lauric acid, one of the ‘good’ saturated fats, which is shown to fight off fungal infections.
2. When taken as a supplement, coconut oil is shown to improve energy, boost the immune system, and increase metabolism.
3. Coconut oil is often used in medicines for diabetes, heart disease, chronic fatigue, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, and thyroid conditions.
4. Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms, or add a tablespoon to a cup of tea to help soothe a sore throat.
5. Actress Kate Hudson loves the moisturizing effects of coconut oil. Used as a basic lotion for dry, irritated, or sun burnt skin, it also helps improve symptoms of eczema and psoriasis.
6. Coconut oil can erase the past! Use it to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy, reduce the appearance of varicose veins and cellulite, or lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin.
7. Coconut oil is a dairy-free substitute for traditional butter, which is popular among vegans and great for cooking and baking.
8. A small dab of coconut oil on split ends eliminates frizz, leaving hair smooth and shiny.
9. Apply coconut oil to your cuticles and scalp to help stimulate nail and hair growth.
10. Coconut oil is a beauty essential that can be used as a lip balm, SPF 4, makeup remover, shaving cream, or teeth whitener!