Who doesn’t love a good bowl of guacamole? Americans eat around 8 million pounds of guacamole on Super Bowl Sunday, but there are plenty of reasons to enjoy avocados all 365 days of the year! The CPR staff loves avocados and their delicious health benefits.
Here are some of our favorite health benefits of avocados:
1. Avocados contain all 18 essential amino acids necessary to form a complete protein, making it a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians.
2. Add avocados to your diet to strengthen both your immune and digestive systems.
3. Replace butter or mayonnaise with avocado on your favorite sandwich to help lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar.
4. The high-fat content in avocados promotes normal infant growth and development.
5. Studies show that the omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin E, and folate content in avocados helps prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Avocados are shown to help improve eye health and protect against cataracts.
7. The anti-inflammatory property of avocados helps prevent osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Too much sun over the weekend? Mash up an avocado and leave on skin for 15 minutes to help reduce redness.
9. Avocado oil can be used as a natural sunscreen and as a lotion to help soothe sunburns.
10. Using avocado butter as a daily moisturizer softens skin, eliminates dry patches, and helps reduce wrinkles.